The Trump administration has said 2,737 migrant children were separated from their families under new immigration policies, but a Thursday report from the Office of Refugee Resettlement found that "thousands" more separations took place. President Trump's "zero tolerance" policy, launched in spring 2018, led to separations that drew widespread scrutiny, but the report says a "steep increase" in family separations actually began in summer 2017. "Thousands of children may have been separated" during that time, the report says — and the government never tracked just how many. Health and Human Services additionally had "significant challenges" in identifying which children in its care had been separated by the Department of Homeland Security, and which had arrived at the border alone.

Scroll for 5 things you
need to know now